1QN representation - DSP

This is a discussion on 1QN representation - DSP ; Hi how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format.. Let it be -1.5...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

1QN representation

  1. Default 1QN representation

    Hi

    how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    Let it be -1.5

  2. Default Re: 1QN representation

    knight <krsheshu@gmail.com> writes:

    > Hi
    >
    > how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    > Let it be -1.5


    What is "1QN" format?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % on, and she's also a telephone."
    %%% 919-577-9882 %
    %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
    http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

  3. Default Re: 1QN representation

    On Sep 17, 10:40 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    > knight <krshe...@gmail.com> writes:
    > > Hi

    >
    > > how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    > > Let it be -1.5

    >
    > What is "1QN" format?
    > --
    > %  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    > %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."
    > %%% 919-577-9882                %
    > %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO  http://www.digitalsignallabs.com


    Both,

    Google is your friend.

    Regards.
    Ken

  4. Default Re: 1QN representation

    Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2001@yahoo.com> writes:

    > On Sep 17, 10:40 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    >> knight <krshe...@gmail.com> writes:
    >> > Hi

    >>
    >> > how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    >> > Let it be -1.5

    >>
    >> What is "1QN" format?
    >> --
    >> %  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    >> %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."
    >> %%% 919-577-9882                %
    >> %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO  http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

    >
    > Both,
    >
    > Google is your friend.


    Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    dirt, and often they aren't there.
    --
    % Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"
    %%% 919-577-9882 % 'Ticket To The Moon'
    %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % *Time*, Electric Light Orchestra
    http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

  5. Default Re: 1QN representation

    On Sep 17, 11:11 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    > Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> writes:
    > > On Sep 17, 10:40 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    > >> knight <krshe...@gmail.com> writes:
    > >> > Hi

    >
    > >> > how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    > >> > Let it be -1.5

    >
    > >> What is "1QN" format?
    > >> --
    > >> %  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    > >> %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."
    > >> %%% 919-577-9882                %
    > >> %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO  http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

    >
    > > Both,

    >
    > > Google is your friend.

    >
    > Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    > sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    > dirt, and often they aren't there.
    > --
    > %  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
    > %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"
    > %%% 919-577-9882                % 'Ticket To The Moon'
    > %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           % *Time*, Electric Light Orchestrahttp://www.digitalsignallabs.com- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Randy,
    Geez, sorry to piss you off, man.
    To save your having to waste time sorting down to the 8th Google item,
    here's a link:
    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00938.html


    Knight,
    Until your time is as valuable as Randy's, Google is your friend.

    Regards,
    Ken

  6. Default Re: 1QN representation


    "Randy Yates" <yates@ieee.org> wrote in message
    news:m34p4e6c3v.fsf@local.localhost...
    >
    > Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    > sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    > dirt, and often they aren't there.
    > --


    Randy,

    If you're having trouble finding things with search engines, you could try
    Googling for "How to google". In this industry, if you can't work a search
    engine, you're in big trouble.

    If you can't be arsed to do that, here's a link. ;-)

    http://sudarmuthu.com/blog/2006/05/0...dissected.html

    HTH., Syms.

    p.s. To the OP, I replied on C.A.F.



  7. Default Re: 1QN representation

    Ken Asbury wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 11:11 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> writes:
    >>
    >>>On Sep 17, 10:40 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>knight <krshe...@gmail.com> writes:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Hi

    >>
    >>>>>how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    >>>>>Let it be -1.5

    >>
    >>>>What is "1QN" format?
    >>>>--
    >>>>% Randy Yates % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    >>>>%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % on, and she's also a telephone."
    >>>>%%% 919-577-9882 %
    >>>>%%%% <ya...@ieee.org> % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

    >>
    >>>Both,

    >>
    >>>Google is your friend.

    >>
    >>Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    >>sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    >>dirt, and often they aren't there.
    >>--
    >>% Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
    >>%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"
    >>%%% 919-577-9882 % 'Ticket To The Moon'
    >>%%%% <ya...@ieee.org> % *Time*, Electric Light Orchestrahttp://www.digitalsignallabs.com- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >>- Show quoted text -

    >
    >
    > Randy,
    > Geez, sorry to piss you off, man.
    > To save your having to waste time sorting down to the 8th Google item,
    > here's a link:
    > http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00938.html
    >
    >
    > Knight,
    > Until your time is as valuable as Randy's, Google is your friend.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ken


    You're both right.
    Google *CAN* be useful.
    Google is often a *PAIN*!!!!
    And you can't be sure which it will be until _after_ the search.

    I've made a semi-hobby of outsmarting Google for the last 18 months.
    One thing I've learned is precede all search terms with "allintext:" .
    That limits hits to pages with search term in body of page. Otherwise
    some hits will be to pages which make a reference to pages which contain
    the search term. The art comes in choosing optimum boolean expression to
    get what you really want


  8. Default Re: 1QN representation

    Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2001@yahoo.com> writes:

    > On Sep 17, 11:11 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    >> Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> writes:
    >> > On Sep 17, 10:40 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    >> >> knight <krshe...@gmail.com> writes:
    >> >> > Hi

    >>
    >> >> > how can i represent any number in 32 bit signed 1QN format..
    >> >> > Let it be -1.5

    >>
    >> >> What is "1QN" format?
    >> >> --
    >> >> %  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
    >> >> %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."
    >> >> %%% 919-577-9882                %
    >> >> %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO  http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

    >>
    >> > Both,

    >>
    >> > Google is your friend.

    >>
    >> Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    >> sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    >> dirt, and often they aren't there.
    >> --
    >> %  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
    >> %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"
    >> %%% 919-577-9882                % 'Ticket To The Moon'
    >> %%%% <ya...@ieee.org>           % *Time*, Electric Light Orchestrahttp://www.digitalsignallabs.com- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Randy,
    > Geez, sorry to piss you off, man.
    > To save your having to waste time sorting down to the 8th Google item,
    > here's a link:
    >
    > http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00938.html


    Well, thanks Ken. I'm not pissed off, just expressing an opinion.

    > Knight, Until your time is as valuable as Randy's, Google is your
    > friend.


    Perhaps we should all think like you, Ken?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,
    %%% 919-577-9882 % that's the way it goes..."
    %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % Getting To The Point', *Balance of Power*, ELO
    http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

  9. Default Re: 1QN representation

    Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Sep 17, 11:11 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:


    >> Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> writes:


    >>> Google is your friend.


    >> Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    >> sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    >> dirt, and often they aren't there.


    >Geez, sorry to piss you off, man.
    >To save your having to waste time sorting down to the 8th Google item,
    >here's a link:
    >http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00938.html


    1QN seems to mean fractional two's complement in some proprietary
    context.

    The OP should use more standard terminology. Participants shouldn't
    have to google stuff like this up.

    Steve

  10. Default Re: 1QN representation

    On Sep 18, 1:00 am, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
    > Ken Asbury  <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sep 17, 11:11 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
    > >> Ken Asbury <avoidingspam2...@yahoo.com> writes:
    > >>> Google is your friend.
    > >> Bullshit. Half the time I google, I spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time
    > >> sifting through the results looking for the gold specks in a bunch of
    > >> dirt, and often they aren't there.

    > >Geez, sorry to piss you off, man.
    > >To save your having to waste time sorting down to the 8th Google item,
    > >here's a link:
    > >http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch...fpga/2006-02/m...

    >
    > 1QN seems to mean fractional two's complement in some proprietary
    > context.
    >
    > The OP should use more standard terminology.  Participants shouldn't
    > have to google stuff like this up.
    >
    > Steve


    I thought that was fairly standard terminology

    Q15 == no integer part and 15 bits of fraction
    Q31 == no integer part and 31 bits of fraction
    1Q14 == 1 integer bit and 14 bits of fraction
    1QN == 1 integer bit and all the remaining bits (however many they may
    be) are fraction

    All these kinda assume there is a sign bit as well. People don't often
    express unsigned fixed point in this way. I wonder what might be
    consider the appropriate shorthand way to say "no sign, no integer
    part and 16 bits of fraction"?

    Regards,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast