are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ? - Smalltalk

This is a discussion on are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ? - Smalltalk ; Hi , I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn smalltalk visualworks . I am doing this because I did ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?

  1. Default are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar or not ?

    Hi ,
    I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
    am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
    smalltalk visualworks .
    I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
    visualage

    smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of
    difference is in them ?
    Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .

  2. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi ,
    > I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
    > am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
    > smalltalk visualworks .
    > I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
    > visualage
    >
    > smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of
    > difference is in them ?
    > Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .



    The language is the same.

    The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).

    The UI layer is different.

    The IDE tools are different.

    The code versioning systems are different.



    So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
    limited by the time you move to VisualAge.

    I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
    them to hook you up with a VA trainer.



    Success!

    Reinout
    -------

  3. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    Reinout Heeck wrote:

    > The language is the same.
    > The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).
    > The UI layer is different.
    > The IDE tools are different.
    > The code versioning systems are different.


    All agreed. But I have no idea how that leads to the following:

    > So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
    > limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
    > I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
    > them to hook you up with a VA trainer.


    What does that first sentence mean? I first thought you might be saying
    that VA isn't good for production work. But with the second sentence
    there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
    that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help. Is that
    concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?
    --
    Wayne Johnston

  4. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:07:20 -0500
    Wayne Johnston <junk@wayneAtTheJohnstonsDotCom.junk> wrote:

    > Reinout Heeck wrote:
    >
    > > The language is the same.
    > > The libraries are different (e.g. file manipulation is different).
    > > The UI layer is different.
    > > The IDE tools are different.
    > > The code versioning systems are different.

    >
    > All agreed. But I have no idea how that leads to the following:
    >
    > > So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
    > > limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
    > > I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
    > > them to hook you up with a VA trainer.

    >
    > What does that first sentence mean? I first thought you might be saying
    > that VA isn't good for production work. But with the second sentence
    > there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
    > that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help. Is that
    > concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?


    I'd guess it's more like working on PostgreSQL after learning MSSQL.
    There are enough similarities to fire up memories of how things used to
    work and enough differences to not produce the results you expect.

    If the OP had asked the other direction, Reinout's answer would
    probably hold just the same (substituting VW for VA of course).

    s.

  5. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    Wayne Johnston wrote:
    >> So if you have to do production work you will find yourself severely
    >> limited by the time you move to VisualAge.
    >> I suggest you contact the distributer (www.instantiations.com) and ask
    >> them to hook you up with a VA trainer.

    >
    > What does that first sentence mean? I first thought you might be saying
    > that VA isn't good for production work. But with the second sentence
    > there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
    > that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help. Is that
    > concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?



    No, not longer. Just that a lot of the training done on VisualWorks
    needs to be re-done if you move to VisualAge.

    I wrote this assuming that he would be trained on VisualWorks and then
    would have to study VisualAge by himself which would be much slower than
    being trained..



    R
    -

  6. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    Reinout Heeck wrote:
    > Just that a lot of the training done on VisualWorks
    > needs to be re-done if you move to VisualAge.


    Sorry, I read the initial question wrong.
    --
    Wayne

  7. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?

    sangwan.satpal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi ,
    > I am new to smalltalk . I have to work on smalltalk visualage , but I
    > am taking training in Smalltalk visualworks . Is it fine to learn
    > smalltalk visualworks .
    > I am doing this because I did not fine any trainer for smalltalk
    > visualage
    >
    > smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks are similar or a lot of
    > difference is in them ?
    > Please resond as I am going to take trainign today onwards .


    I have given courses to an audience with mixed VisualWorks and VisualAge
    Smalltalk developers. The first 2.5 days of the 5 day course covered
    all the same material but for the last half, I had to present one first
    and while they worked on hands-on exercises, present the other then
    alternate back and forth. In hindsight, I don't think I'd want to do
    that again.

    It's better if you can get training in your own dialect if you go beyond
    the basics of Smalltalk and the Smalltalk libraries.

    David Buck
    Simberon Inc.
    www.simberon.com

  8. Default Re: are smalltalk visualage and smalltalk visualworks similar ornot ?


    > What does that first sentence mean? I first thought you might be saying
    > that VA isn't good for production work. But with the second sentence
    > there, I suspect you are saying that if you are doing this for a job,
    > that VA takes a long time to learn so you should get help. Is that
    > concensus opinion, that VA takes longer to learn?


    no. in fact, I think the GUI stuff is much easier in VA...

+ Reply to Thread